Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Art of Levitation

Aha! I have uncovered the truth. Magic my foot... I know how it is that "magicians" levitate!
It's simple really. I can't believe that no one else has discovered the answer to this mystery. For those just tuning in, I'm in day 3 of my vegetarian quest... which is already turning in to be quite the revealing process. So herein lies the answer. There's no big secret to these magical types... they simply eat large quantities of fruits and vegetables (specifically broccoli), and over the course of a couple of days, will fill you so full of air that you can't help but float around! It's amazing...

On a more serious note, I've been doing some thinking lately. Every one has a different life story, obviously... and are faced with differing sorts of obstacles. Some have experienced nothing but smooth sailing, and yet there are others whose lives are riddled with tragedy. Lately I've been purposely challenging myself to not let the negative things (big or small) get to me. Much like Lemony Snicket, I have had my own series of unfortunate events, which I'm sure I'll disclose on a different day. We won't open that can so early in our friendship.

Everyone has a different way of dealing with stress or with difficult situations. Some are spiritually grounded (in both a religious and non-religious sense) and others settle their uneasiness with temporary mechanisms of self-fulfillment... and there are so many more examples. I'm not here to advocate any one method over the other, but I do know for a fact that in my situation, my faith has kept me grounded throughout the years.

Those that know me personally know that I've battled previously with depression and the like, and that I've only relapsed a couple of times, but when I do, I'm a different person. Being the science major I am, I don't know if events in my life have led up to that, or maybe I'm just pre-disposed to those tendencies. Sort of like: which came first, the chicken or the egg? In either instance, I confidently know that God has taken care of me and my best interests in many, many, many situations... and those are the only ones that I know of. There's no telling what all He's done for me that I'm completely oblivious about. Maybe I rest better at night not knowing. I've made a lot of mistakes in the past and some rather undesirable decisions (sorry, mom), but through it all, He has seen past my human nature to rescue me anyway. That's the beauty of mercy... the beauty of grace. No one deserves it. No one has, and no one will. As sinners, we are incapable and not worthy of God's blessings... but He blesses us nonetheless. Now that's what I call amazing. I guess John Newton knew what he was talking about with that song, you might have heard of it, "Amazing Grace." It's been pretty popular for a good while.

A more specific example of this whole ramble deals with a very sensitive part of my life when my childhood best friend passed away in her sleep. I had just seen her the day before. I remember our last hug. And I had no clue it would be our last. I miss her really badly. There were a lot of people who were very comforting during the whole period, but there would always be those few who would come up, with a look of dire circumstances, and ask me "but Cameron, do you know if she was saved?"

There is nothing more disconcerting to one already mourning the loss of a loved one than when some dunce comes up and asks you that. I so badly wanted to shout back at them, "Even if I had the power to change that final destination one way or the other, what in the world could I do about it now?!?!" But of course, being the meek and passive aggressive little lamb that I was, I quickly muttered some answer and excused myself from the conversation. Oh, how that would change in future years... for that lamb would one day roar.

Had I been in a better mindset to deal with such inane questions, I would have sat the young chap down for a chatty chat. I don't believe in "saving" people. All the saving that was to be done, was done waaayyy before any of us arrived on this planet. And thank God that's the case because we certainly aren't capable. I'm terrible beyond terrible with earthly directions... and you want me to SAVE SOMEONE? Really. There are a lot of people I love dearly, but I wouldn't place my salvation in a single one of them. None of them are capable. It's not an insult, but the truth. We have faith in so many things. For example, I'm sitting on my bed right now, and I have faith that it will hold me up while I type this and not send me flying down to the parking lot level (my levitation skills aside.)

I also believe in permanent salvation. Once saved, always saved. The fact that you can lose your "saved-ness" is pretty paradoxical if you think about it. Even for agnostics. Okay... if you so believe that there is a "God" that is capable of saving a fallen human race, why would you insult him by believing that His efforts weren't QUITE good enough... so we have to help the poor guy along. Right. Since we have so much to offer Him... with all our human skills. I don't believe there will be one person missing from heaven or that one will accidentally or mistakenly be misplaced. We are talking about the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE. He's omnipresent. Hmm, so He knows where we all are right now, so I have a feeling that that's not going to end any time soon. He created this whole crazy thing that we're living off of right now. Those of you with children, the whole process of reproduction and child birth amazes me. It's a miracle that happens thousands of times per day probably. That's one of the most life altering changes that God entrusted us with... so be careful wouldya?

I can see that last tangent creating quite a spin-off so on that note, I think I'll wrap this saga up. My prayers are with all who suffer... whether it be of mind, soul, or body.

blissful blessings to you all,
cameron

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I am really enjoying you blogs! I signed on my computer today just knowing you were going to have a new and exciting blog. I'm a loyal follower and I'm anxiously awaiting your newest thoughts!!

Tracey said...

P.S.
Your mom and I are going to eat Mexican for lunch and then get a hamburger from McDonald's. Yummy!