I'm taking a comparitive lit class this semester. While I was reading the required story for the night, I stumbled across a few interesting quotes last evening. The following are taken from "A Poisoned Tale" by Rosario Ferre.
"Style is doubtless woman's most subtle virtue."
This is the mindset I have come into within the past couple of months. Style is so much more than the clothes you wear physically on your body. It's the way you carry yourself and the way you choose to accessorize your look with confidence. It's being present without being intimidating. It's looking independent and strong, but not unapproachable.
"'...But finery does not a lady make.'"
That's a loaded statement. I wish I could scream this from the top of my lungs in the middle of town sometimes. Some girls believe they can compensate for their less than noteworthy actions by wearing and carrying the latest and currently most expensive things. Being a lady is a lost art. One of my biggest pet peeves is a female with a bad mouth. Now I understand that things happen and some words are a little more commonplace in everyday conversation than others. But quite frankly, I'm around girls pretty frequently that could out-cuss any sailor, much less your run-of-the-mill garbage mouth guy. Being a lady doesn't mean you are prude, inexperienced, or naive. In fact, I think being a lady is quite the contrary. Regardless of what's happened before, you conduct yourself in the here and now. You don't have to publish your life story every time you open your mouth, or act in an otherwise unsightly manner. Being a lady has a certain mystique. I'm all about being an open book, but keep a few of the chapters to yourself. Leave a little to the imagination... it's a good thing I promise.
I would love to have a brilliant enough idea to one day be quoted. How awesome would that be? If I ever become famous, I'll work on that.
You knew me when,
cmm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment