Tuesday: 03.10.2009
After an exhausting day with lots of walking, we thought we’d take a “day off.” It turned out to be anything but a day off, but we had a great time anyway. We slept in a little bit later and then got up to begin our adventure on foot. First of all, when you walk out the door of the apartment, the view is astounding. All you can see is blue ocean. We headed east and walked to University of California San Diego (UCSD). I know my mom is proud that I knew directions, but it’s only because I could see the ocean, and I know that it’s the west coast. So sad.
I must say, and I don’t want to brag or anything, but I think our campus is much prettier. There was one very interesting difference though. We ate lunch at this pub in the middle of campus where they serve alcohol DURING the day… on campus! It was very unusual for Meghan and I. The food wasn’t that great, so alcohol must be its claim to fame, which was unfortunate for us. We walked around the area for a little while before we found the bookstore. I bought a UCSD chocolate brown zip-up sweatshirt that was 30% off (cha-ching). Meghan, on the other hand, was deep in concentration in the on sale post card section. This was a very serious matter. She finally settled on some good choices, and we checked out with our purchases (including a little candy for the road.)
We then headed back towards the apartment, when I decided we try an alternate route (always a good idea, right?) Instead of walking down this steep, winding road, we decided to just tackle the mountain head-on.
So we walked across this grassy field before taking in the view of a lifetime. It was breathtaking.
We took that in for a few minutes and changed out camera batteries. Then we just started walking… and walking… and walking. We walked down dirt paths, cement drains, and really anywhere that looked remotely safe. We finally wound up at one of the many destinations we hoped to find, and used that area to make our way down some stairs and to the beach. On this whole path, we encountered many wetsuit-clad surfers. California boys are ridiculously attractive, and I wanted to date them all. But that’s really a different story entirely. We hung out on the beach; it was a bit chilly for bathing suits, but that didn’t stop us. We laid out on our beach towels, fully clothed in t-shirts and shorts. These annoying little gnats were about to drive me crazy, and for some reason left Meghan alone. I think they liked my suntan lotion because it smelled like bananas. Later, we then continued walking down the beach until we got to a lifeguard stand that Meghan simply HAD to have a picture of her standing on it. So she struck a pose, and I snapped several pictures for her. We decided to try and head back to our original area to try and go to the Birch Aquarium. We also wanted a t-shirt or sweatshirt from Scripps International School of Oceanography, where Aimee is working on her Ph.D. To make a long story short, we wound up stopping at the Scripps Administration building to ask for directions, and by the time we made our way up this huge hill to Birch, we didn’t have enough time to actually go inside the place.
So we settled for the gift shop, where we spent a TON of time. Meghan had a serious dilemma in choosing a sweatshirt and must have tried on each one four or five times. She finally decided on one, and loves it by the way, so in the end it was a great day. Aimee picked us up a little after 5 and took us back to the apartment so we wouldn’t have anymore hills to climb.
That night we were in the mood for some good seafood. We went to this great restaurant that Jeremy suggested. We parked and began walking to what we thought was the entrance… and kept walking… finally we had almost circled the building when we found the front door. It was a nice place with really cool old photos of fishermen and their large catches. Aimee ordered a steamed artichoke for an appetizer. After some instruction and a demonstration on how to eat the thing, I actually tried it. It was different than anything I had ever had, but pretty good actually. For my meal, I ordered some shrimp pasta, which was delicious. We went back to the apartment to hang out for a while before getting ready for bed. By this point, Meghan and I had developed a routine. We’d get ready for bed, then get in bed and read for a while. I brought sTori Telling (Tori Spelling’s autobiography, which is really funny) for her, and I had begun reading Eclipse again.
After an exhausting day with lots of walking, we thought we’d take a “day off.” It turned out to be anything but a day off, but we had a great time anyway. We slept in a little bit later and then got up to begin our adventure on foot. First of all, when you walk out the door of the apartment, the view is astounding. All you can see is blue ocean. We headed east and walked to University of California San Diego (UCSD). I know my mom is proud that I knew directions, but it’s only because I could see the ocean, and I know that it’s the west coast. So sad.
I must say, and I don’t want to brag or anything, but I think our campus is much prettier. There was one very interesting difference though. We ate lunch at this pub in the middle of campus where they serve alcohol DURING the day… on campus! It was very unusual for Meghan and I. The food wasn’t that great, so alcohol must be its claim to fame, which was unfortunate for us. We walked around the area for a little while before we found the bookstore. I bought a UCSD chocolate brown zip-up sweatshirt that was 30% off (cha-ching). Meghan, on the other hand, was deep in concentration in the on sale post card section. This was a very serious matter. She finally settled on some good choices, and we checked out with our purchases (including a little candy for the road.)
We then headed back towards the apartment, when I decided we try an alternate route (always a good idea, right?) Instead of walking down this steep, winding road, we decided to just tackle the mountain head-on.
So we walked across this grassy field before taking in the view of a lifetime. It was breathtaking.
We took that in for a few minutes and changed out camera batteries. Then we just started walking… and walking… and walking. We walked down dirt paths, cement drains, and really anywhere that looked remotely safe. We finally wound up at one of the many destinations we hoped to find, and used that area to make our way down some stairs and to the beach. On this whole path, we encountered many wetsuit-clad surfers. California boys are ridiculously attractive, and I wanted to date them all. But that’s really a different story entirely. We hung out on the beach; it was a bit chilly for bathing suits, but that didn’t stop us. We laid out on our beach towels, fully clothed in t-shirts and shorts. These annoying little gnats were about to drive me crazy, and for some reason left Meghan alone. I think they liked my suntan lotion because it smelled like bananas. Later, we then continued walking down the beach until we got to a lifeguard stand that Meghan simply HAD to have a picture of her standing on it. So she struck a pose, and I snapped several pictures for her. We decided to try and head back to our original area to try and go to the Birch Aquarium. We also wanted a t-shirt or sweatshirt from Scripps International School of Oceanography, where Aimee is working on her Ph.D. To make a long story short, we wound up stopping at the Scripps Administration building to ask for directions, and by the time we made our way up this huge hill to Birch, we didn’t have enough time to actually go inside the place.
So we settled for the gift shop, where we spent a TON of time. Meghan had a serious dilemma in choosing a sweatshirt and must have tried on each one four or five times. She finally decided on one, and loves it by the way, so in the end it was a great day. Aimee picked us up a little after 5 and took us back to the apartment so we wouldn’t have anymore hills to climb.That night we were in the mood for some good seafood. We went to this great restaurant that Jeremy suggested. We parked and began walking to what we thought was the entrance… and kept walking… finally we had almost circled the building when we found the front door. It was a nice place with really cool old photos of fishermen and their large catches. Aimee ordered a steamed artichoke for an appetizer. After some instruction and a demonstration on how to eat the thing, I actually tried it. It was different than anything I had ever had, but pretty good actually. For my meal, I ordered some shrimp pasta, which was delicious. We went back to the apartment to hang out for a while before getting ready for bed. By this point, Meghan and I had developed a routine. We’d get ready for bed, then get in bed and read for a while. I brought sTori Telling (Tori Spelling’s autobiography, which is really funny) for her, and I had begun reading Eclipse again.

No comments:
Post a Comment